Berberis Formula is a blend of barberry, goldenseal and Oregon grape extracts that are traditionally used in Herbal Medicine to help maintain gastrointestinal health. The main bioactive ingredient in these extracts is berberine.1,2 Recent research demonstrates that berberine inhibits bacterial attachment to the gastric mucosa.3 Berberine also mediates the transport of ions and water across intestinal epithelial cells.3 It helps maintain the balance between electrolytes and water, resulting in an anti-diarrheal effect.3 Berberine can increase the expression of the Na+; H+ exchanger and aquaporin,2 which help enhance the absorption of sodium and water, respectively.3,4 Berberine also promotes proper intestinal epithelial tight junction formation, and decreases the permeability of these cells to promote appropriate gastrointestinal barrier function.5 During low contractile states, berberine stimulates the jejunum through the activation of muscarinic receptors, resulting in increased intestinal motility, and a mild laxative effect.6
1. Javadzadeh, SM, Ebrahimi, A. Sci. Agri. 2013; 1(2): 61-66.
2. Siow, YL, Sarna, L, O, K. Food Research International. 2011; 44: 2409-2417.
3. Chen, C, Yu, Z, Li, Y, Fichna, J, Storr, M. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2014; 42(5): 1053-1070.
4. Zhang, Y, Wang, X, Sha, S, Liang, S, Zhao, L, Liu, L, Chai, N, Wang, H, Wu, K. BFitoterapia. 2012; 83: 1014-1022.
5. Gu, L, Li, N, Gong, J, Li, Q, Zhu, W, Li, J. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2011; 203: 1602-1612.
6. Chen, DP, Xiong, YJ, Lv, BC, Liu, FF, Wang, L, Tang, ZY, Lin, Y. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2013; 65(5): 734-744.