HMF Immune combines proprietary probiotics with vitamins C and D to provide targeted support for the immune system. Each convenient, once-daily chewable tablet provides a blend of five research-driven probiotic strains from both the Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium genera. As nearly 80% of the body’s immunologically active cells are located in gut-associated lymphoid tissue, an important connection has been demonstrated between the intestines and the immune system.1 In addition to supporting gastrointestinal health, HMF Immune provides Bl-04, a strain that has been shown in a clinical trial to reduce the risk of developing and the duration of upper respiratory tract illness in physically active adults.2 Similarly, it offers CUL-60, CUL-21, CUL-34 and CUL-20, which were demonstrated in a clinical trial to support upper respiratory tract health when combined with vitamin C.3 To further help maintain immune function, HMF Immune contains vitamins C and D. Vitamin C supports the immune system by regulating lymphocyte proliferation, natural killer cell activity and immunoglobulin production, while vitamin D helps control T cell activation, cytokine release and phagocytosis in macrophages.4 Research demonstrates that vitamins C and D may be especially effective in maintaining immune function in the respiratory tract.5,6
1. Saavedra, JM. Use of Probiotics in Pediatrics: Rationale, Mechanisms of Action, and Practical Aspects. Nutrition in Clinical Practice. 2007; 22: 351–365.
2. West, NP, Horn, PL, Pyne, DB, Gebski, VJ, Lahtinen, SJ, Fricker, PA, Cripps, AW. Clin Nutr. 2014; 33(4): 581-7.
3. Garaiova, I, Muchová, J, Nagyová, Z, Wang, D, Li, JV, Országhová, Z, Michael, DR, Plummer, SF, Ďuračková, Z. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2015; 69(3): 373-9. 4. Combs, GF. (2012). Vitamin C. In (4th ed), The Vitamins (pp. 233-259). USA: Elsevier.
5. Hemilä, H, Chalker, E. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; (1): CD000980.
6. de Sa Del Fiol, F, Barberato-Filho, S, Lopes, LC, de Cassia Bergamaschi, C. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2015; 9(4): 355-61.