Here’s a healthy twist on an old classic, Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Best of all, this recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and refined sugar-free!
For the Crust (Double Crust) Adapted from Elana’s Pantry:
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil (I have also used coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 4-6 stalks of rhubarb (about 3 cups), roughly chopped
- 1-pint strawberries, quartered
- zest of an orange or lemon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 3 tbsp water
For the Crust:
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, and baking soda. Make a well in the center.
- Add the grapeseed oil, agave, and vanilla into the well.
- Stir until well combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use your pie plate to draw a circle on the parchment. Flip the paper over.
- Grease the pie plate with grapeseed oil. Pat half of the mixture into the pie plate in a thin even layer.
- Pat the other half of the dough into a circle on the parchment about a 1/2 and inch smaller than the circle. Cut out a shape in the center if desired, or make slits.
- Bake in a 325 oven for 10-14 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Place the top crust in the freezer to set. About 15 minutes.
- Gently remove the top crust from the parchment to top the pie.
For the Filling:
- Heat rhubarb in a medium sauce pan over medium heat until softened. About 8-10 minutes.
- Add the zest, cinnamon, and agave nectar and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the strawberries and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Mix the arrowroot and water in a small bowl to create a slurry.
- Remove the rhubarb mixture from the heat and slowly mix in the slurry to thicken the filling.
- Allow to cool slightly before pouring into the pre-cooked pie crust and topping with the top crust.
For the Coconut Milk Whipped Cream:
- Allow the coconut milk to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Scoop out the milk solids that have separated to the top. Reserve the coconut water left in the bottom of the can for other uses.
- Using a wire whisk or hand mixer, mix the coconut milk solids, vanilla, and agave until light and fluffy.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Serve the pie immediately or store in the fridge to help keep the crust firm.
At Bronte Wellness Boutique, our team of Naturopathic Doctors and Registered Massage Therapists are always cooking up delicious eats in the kitchen. Follow along on our Facebook page for more delicious recipes![/fusion_text][/four_fifth][one_fifth last=”yes” spacing=”yes” center_content=”no” hide_on_mobile=”no” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” background_position=”left top” hover_type=”none” link=”” border_position=”all” border_size=”0px” border_color=”” border_style=”” padding=”” margin_top=”” margin_bottom=”” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”” animation_speed=”0.1″ animation_offset=”” class=”” id=””][/one_fifth]